Thursday, May 20, 2021
Friday, May 07, 2021
I've been pretty busy this past month trying to do some finishing...my mother wants to set up a table at a local craft show to sell some of her plant cuttings in little tea cups she has collected, and she mentioned that I could sell some of my finished needlework. So I've put more pieces into jewelry boxes from thrift store trips, and finished a few other small things. Pricing them is difficult - I want to be fair to myself, but I also know that "profit" on handcrafts is next to impossible. And I don't want to bring all the stuff back home! I don't need 14 little jewelry boxes... The sale is next weekend. Crossing my fingers that I sell even a few things.
The finish above is a piece from Lauren Sauer, of Forget-Me-Nots In Stitches. It is titled "Antique Alphabet in the Time of Covid," and was a round robin piece from last year's virtual Celebration of Needlework. I stitched it with Carrie's Creations' Aubergine variegated floss, and made a few changes to personalize it (namely, I flip-flipped the V and W, and changed the dimensions of a few letters...also made the motif after the Z more balanced). I framed it myself in a frame I found at an antique shop. I made a few small repairs to the frame, and sprayed it with a coat of polyurethane - but I left the "distressed" look, chipped paint and all. I have no idea if the frame is really that old or rare, but I thought it suited the sampler.
Tuesday, March 30, 2021
After 6 years....
...she's DONE! This is "Family Treasure III" by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum/Told in a Garden. I started it in 2015, and finished it this past Sunday (3/28). I made a few changes (as always):
Wednesday, February 24, 2021
Do you have one of these in your WIP pile? A piece that you started with the best of intentions, but just can't seem to focus on and finish...yet you aren't ready to discard it completely?
For me, it is "Family Treasure III" by Told in a Garden/Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum. I started it in February of 2015, and have worked on it, bit by bit, ever since. On 28-ct fabric, it is about 5" wide by 30" long, and you'd think working bands that are only 5 inches wide would be quick work...but no. Not at all. Tons of color changes, and space between stitches that means stopping and starting threads...ugh. Lots of times I'd pull it out, put in one length of thread, and then put it aside again for weeks. I modified a few bands, added some beads here and there, and kept trying to make it more fun, because I really DO like the look of the finished design.
And today I realized that I've almost reached the bottom portion, with the design I've been looking forward to for...well...years... SQUEEEEEE!
Wednesday, February 10, 2021
I cut 1-inch strips of white, red, star stripes, and the navy with scattered stars fabric, and sewed them all together. I basically got lucky with the alignment, because I didn't measure very carefully before starting! I used larger patches of the navy for the corners (obviously). Then I laced it to matboard and fit it into this little shadowbox frame that I picked up at Wal-Mart...it originally had a clip attached to the back and was designed to hold a photo/thing that was approximately 3" x 5". I've removed the clip so the stitched piece could sit all the way into the back. It isn't perfect...my piecing is a little wobbly in spots...but I think it is adorable. I'll just call it "primitive." LOL
I also enjoy the fact that it is sitting next to "Equal Rites," one of my favorite Discworld titles. So appropriate!
Wednesday, February 03, 2021
I don't often talk about current events or politics on this blog, and I recognize that is definitely a privilege I have. My life is largely unaffected by the divisive issues in the media, although I DO have opinions and feelings related to them! But all of the ugliness surrounding American exceptionalism (that culminated in the absolutely gross and scary events of January 6) has left me...well...less than proud of the country that I really DO love. In the area where I live, American flags fly much too close to Trump yard signs, and are too often tied to positions I find cruel and uninformed.
So. When a Facebook group proposed a "Reclaiming the Flag" stitch-along, I wasn't sure I wanted to join. I don't typically stitch patriotic pieces, and lately I just haven't FELT patriotic... Then I had an idea. I started with the Primitive Hare's "In God We Trust" design from a back issue of Punch Needle & Primitive Stitcher magazine, and made changes that made me smile.
First of all, I left off the "In God We Trust" text on the top. It just isn't my style. Then I made the colonial lady a bit more reminiscent of our new vice-president, and charted a line from Amanda Gorman's gorgeous poem for the bottom (it is designed with 2 flags and the date "1776" in the center). The poet's name and date are stitched in sewing thread - since I was working on 40-ct. linen, my single strand of floss kept getting too fuzzy to be legible!
My other changes, documented mostly for my own records: red = GAST "Cranberry"; blue = Romy's Creations "Stacy's Primitive Blue"; black = Romy's Creations "Black Tulip"; colonial lady skintone = DMC 167; colonial lady's hair: DMC 3371.
Friday, January 15, 2021
So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend. And we didn't do terribly! I sold $125 worth of needle...
An internet friend of mine passed away very unexpectedly last week...so I've been crafting (and plotting new home decor, thanks to Wayfa...
Working from home for almost 6 months now, and time has lost all meaning. My daughter is practically feral, and being raised on video game...
Today was my daughter's first day of school (5th grade). Her school is going back in person, and she's wearing a mask and social d...