Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Reclaiming the Flag SAL finish

I don't often talk about current events or politics on this blog, and I recognize that is definitely a privilege I have.  My life is largely unaffected by the divisive issues in the media, although I DO have opinions and feelings related to them!  But all of the ugliness surrounding American exceptionalism (that culminated in the absolutely gross and scary events of January 6) has left me...well...less than proud of the country that I really DO love.  In the area where I live, American flags fly much too close to Trump yard signs, and are too often tied to positions I find cruel and uninformed.  

So.  When a Facebook group proposed a "Reclaiming the Flag" stitch-along, I wasn't sure I wanted to join.  I don't typically stitch patriotic pieces, and lately I just haven't FELT patriotic... Then I had an idea.  I started with the Primitive Hare's "In God We Trust" design from a back issue of Punch Needle & Primitive Stitcher magazine, and made changes that made me smile.

First of all, I left off the "In God We Trust" text on the top.  It just isn't my style.  Then I made the colonial lady a bit more reminiscent of our new vice-president, and charted a line from Amanda Gorman's gorgeous poem for the bottom (it is designed with 2 flags and the date "1776" in the center).  The poet's name and date are stitched in sewing thread - since I was working on 40-ct. linen, my single strand of floss kept getting too fuzzy to be legible!
My other changes, documented mostly for my own records: red = GAST "Cranberry"; blue = Romy's Creations "Stacy's Primitive Blue"; black = Romy's Creations "Black Tulip"; colonial lady skintone = DMC 167; colonial lady's hair: DMC 3371.

5 comments:

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I like your changes on this design. It has a patriotic feel but it is not 'in your face'. Have you decided how you will finally finish it?

Jennifer said...

I love everything about this, particularly the line from the poem. She's a remarkable young woman, and her delivery of her beautiful poem was absolutely breathtaking. Well done!

Kaisievic said...

Wow! What a fantastic poject you have completed. You have done a wonderful job fulfilling the "brief".

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This is a great idea. History, and the rest of the world, is watching to see what your country does next!
I do love the fact that the first viral meme of the new start is Bernie and his mittens! Even the humour is more affectionate and gentler under Biden LOL

Suzanne H said...

I'm an avid reader of your blog, but don't often comment. I just had to comment on your work this time because it echoes my sentiments and I don't have the words that you did to express them. Thanks so much and may we have gentler days ahead.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...