Friday, May 07, 2021

An Appropriate Sampler

 

I've been pretty busy this past month trying to do some finishing...my mother wants to set up a table at a local craft show to sell some of her plant cuttings in little tea cups she has collected, and she mentioned that I could sell some of my finished needlework.  So I've put more pieces into jewelry boxes from thrift store trips, and finished a few other small things.  Pricing them is difficult - I want to be fair to myself, but I also know that "profit" on handcrafts is next to impossible.  And I don't want to bring all the stuff back home!  I don't need 14 little jewelry boxes...  The sale is next weekend.  Crossing my fingers that I sell even a few things.

The finish above is a piece from Lauren Sauer, of Forget-Me-Nots In Stitches.  It is titled "Antique Alphabet in the Time of Covid," and was a round robin piece from last year's virtual Celebration of Needlework.  I stitched it with Carrie's Creations' Aubergine variegated floss, and made a few changes to personalize it (namely, I flip-flipped the V and W, and changed the dimensions of a few letters...also made the motif after the Z more balanced).  I framed it myself in a frame I found at an antique shop.  I made a few small repairs to the frame, and sprayed it with a coat of polyurethane - but I left the "distressed" look, chipped paint and all.  I have no idea if the frame is really that old or rare, but I thought it suited the sampler.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Good luck with the craft show! I frame my own pieces too, but I normally use cheap frames from IKEA. Your finish looks much better:D

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That's a great little Sampler and lovely frame.
I did try selling some of my stuff at a craft Fayre once with little success. Hope you fare better!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...