Friday, January 15, 2021

Maybe It Will Be A Year of Smalls?

Apparently small projects are my groove this year.  In addition to the little pot topper from my last post and the first tooth fairy pillow from my New Year's update, I've finished another tooth fairy pillow (for potential craft fair inventory), a Blue Ribbon Designs ornament I started last year and abandoned, and then this little piece that was in the back of my desk drawer.
The little ship-in-a-bottle design was a kit from Hobby Lobby, purchased before I realized that I had issues with the company's position on....lots of things.  (I no longer shop at Hobby Lobby.)  And the kit wasn't great, either - it came with a teeny square of cheap aida which I quickly replaced with a scrap of unknown count/color linen from my stash.  The flosses were not DMC, or any other quality brand I've worked with, and I ran out of 2 colors (one was white, which was easy enough to replace, and the other was the dark brown used for backstitching).  So basically, I finished it because I am stubborn, and couldn't just throw it away.

The little box is one of those cheap basswood/plywood items from the "unfinished wood" section in any chain craft store.  I think I grabbed this one at A.C. Moore last year before they went out of business.  It is designed with a slot for 3"x5" photo, so I laced my finished stitching and attached it to the photo backing board.  Then I made a padded liner for the bottom inside of the box, and made a matching fabric-covered piece of matboard (actually comic book board - my husband gave me a whole bulk package of them that he didn't need!) to cover the back of the lid.  Then I made some twisted twine cord, attached a compass rose charm, and voila, fini!

Now I don't know what to DO with it....probably more craft show inventory...

3 comments:

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

It's a good finish and I imagine it would appeal to those into nautical themed items.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I agree with Mary, i think this would make a nice gift for someone to buy at a craft fayre. Maybe for Father's Day?

Kaisievic said...

This is such a cute stitch and finish. I love it!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...