Monday, April 06, 2020

So strange.

Like most of the world, my life has taken a bizarre and unsettling turn due to the Covid-19 pandemic.  I'm currently working from home, which is odd in itself, since most of my job involves working with People Face-to-Face and Actual Things.  While I'm thankful that working from home is an option, I also feel like I spend a lot of time doing busy work to justify my existence/paycheck.  :/  But I soldier on...

My craft bug is also in high gear, and it looks like my years of stash collecting are finally going to pay off.  LOL  Of course, I'm sure I'll still be missing a floss color or 2 for anything I try to kit up!  Although I have many WIPs I could pull out as well.

Speaking of WIPs, I did finish something over the weekend!  This was a quilt top I started for my niece last summer.  The fabric is a fat quarter pack by Susan Wingett from JoAnn Fabrics - I think it was the "Birds of a Feather" collection.  I used a free pattern called Garden Path that I found on Jedi Craft Girl's weblog.  It is designed to use 5 fat quarters, plus some additional yardage for the background (in this case, the purple I used).  I also used an additional color for the little nine-patch squares - the green was not part of the fat quarter pack.  There was an additional fabric in the fat quarter pack that had dragonflies, but it didn't work as well with the purple - and the purple was important because it is my niece's favorite color.
My squares and seams are not perfect, but I think I did okay.  I made some changes to the borders as well - my dark green border is about 1/2 inch wider than the pattern called for, and I added the green sashing to the corner squares which made the purple border a wee bit wider, too.  I think the finished size is right around 57" square.  And this will be the back:
The green coordinates nicely, and my niece's other favorite color is blue!  I think I'm going to find a nice dark purple for the binding.  But my longarm quilting lady is closed for the pandemic, so the final assembly will have to wait.

1 comment:

LindaLee said...

The quilt os gorgeous! I love the colors that you've combined and the material for the back is perfect. Great job. One thing I am seeing a lot is that us stitchers are catching up on a lot of our needlework projects. Keep up the beautiful work, and this pandemic will be over one day.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...