Friday, December 27, 2019

Moving...but standing still.

I said last month that we'd be moving by Christmas....evidently I was wrong.  We're all set to buy this cute little multi-level -
- but we're still waiting on the folks who are buying our current home.  We accepted their offer at the end of October, but evidently their attorney and bank are holding up the process.  (They are using an out-of-town attorney and a large national bank with no local office - we, on the other hand, are using local people.  Makes a world of difference!)

We've heard all the criticism of multi-levels, how we'll hate aging in that kind of floor plan, etc etc, but this house suits us.  In terms of location, it is 25 minutes from my new workplace with a 30-35 minute commute in the other direction for my husband.  It is in a small town with a good school system, and - importantly around here - on a hill out of the flood plain of the Susquehanna River.  It has 4 bedrooms and 2 "bonus" family rooms, so my daughter gets a play room, I get a craft room, and the large basement rec room will eventually be the "Classy Nerd Cave" for all of us.  It has been loved and well-cared for by the previous owners, so while there are some updates/projects for us to do, there are no major repairs needed.  Right now, our to-do list is to 1) update the kitchen, 2) replace the concrete front steps with a small porch, and 3) widen the driveway so 2 cars can park side-by-side, or one can get out of the garage without the other needing to move.  Nothing critical or immediate!

A few more pics:
1) the dining room (with the wainscoting) and kitchen (where the table is).  In many houses of this model, the wall between the dining room and kitchen has been removed.  I think I might do that, in part because there is limited counter space and storage in the kitchen as it is.
 2) my future craft room!
 3) another view of the entry and where I envision my craft space to be.  The kitchen/dining are is to the left of this picture, you can just see the entrance to those rooms off the hallway.
I hope we can close in the next week or 2 - my daughter is enrolled in her new school, but the logistics of getting her to and from school will be very difficult/impossible if we haven't moved.  Classes resume 1/2 and I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that we can close 1/3....if not, she'll have to go back to her "old" school, where she said all her goodbyes and packed up all her stuff before Christmas break.  Moving with school-aged kids is TOUGH!!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Good luck for your move and for 2020 in general. :)

~cryss said...

Nice looking home and split level is easier than a standard two story as you age (I know).

Bethan said...

Looks like a wonderful house! Good luck for your move - fingers crossed things are now in motion again for you x

Astrids dragon said...

Your craft room is going to be fantastic, especially with those windows letting the light in!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...