Friday, April 12, 2019

Adding to the family

(nope, not pregnant!)

So after our lab/terrier mix Lily died, I swore I didn't want another dog.  And for about 6 months, I just missed THAT dog so much that considering another was out of the question.  Then about a year passed where it was kind of nice not having dog-related responsibilities....of course we still had a cat, but you can change the litter box, leave the self-feed/self-watering dishes out, and go away for the weekend without worrying about boarding or pet sitting or finding dog-friendly accommodations.  But lately....lately all 3 of us have been looking longingly at dogs.  DH and I would browse the local shelters' "available dogs" pages, email listings back and forth, talk each other out of certain doggos ("too much energy!"  "too big!"  "I'm NOT dealing with all that fur!")...

Then, last Friday, I saw a post from the local SPCA featuring a little Jack Russell/dachshund mix named Autumn.  She was adorable, and just the right size for a family of 3 in a small ranch house.  I texted the post to my husband, and we agreed to skip out of work early and visit the shelter. 


(You think you know where this is going, don't you?)



(You might be right....)



(....but you might be wrong!)


When we got there, she was already adopted.  As was her brother, Brin.



But......

The mama pup was still there, a Jack Russell/chihuahua mix named Luna.  And while I'm decidedly NOT a chihuahua person, I grew up with a goofy Jack Russell, and I could see that in Luna (minus the wiry coat - she had the smooth coat of a chi).  So we filled out some papers and left, with the understanding that we would return on Saturday with the 9 year-old in tow to see how well kid and dog would get along.  Luna had been attacked by a larger dog at her previous home, and there were concerns about her with children under 16.

Needless to say, everything was fine.  So here is Luna (and my daughter is THRILLED with her name, since Luna Lovegood is her favorite Harry Potter character.....also, Lily was actually named after Lily Potter).

3 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Luna is adorable. Thank you for giving her a forever home. Enjoy your weekend!

Astrids dragon said...

Awe, what a sweet thing Luna is, congratulations to all of you!

Rachel said...

She is absolutely gorgeous and looks like she will be a good addition to your family. I hope all is going well. :)

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...