Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Half Doll Addiction Continues

So.  I have acquired the half doll that I chose for this layout -
and she looks lovely in person.  I've got a piece of high-count linen to use for the stitched piece, and I've found some floss in my stash that should work (I love the one pictured, but it is one of Romy's Threads, and I don't have any local and/or affordable access to those).  I've substituted a dark green for the black floss, and I'm really excited to see how this goes.  I have another small I'm working on to finish first, and then I'll be off to the races!

In the meantime, I was investigating Norma June - the doll who started off this obsession in the first place.
I contacted an Etsy seller, but her communication petered out (and her dolls, while not as expensive as ordering the exact one pictured from Australia, were still a little pricey for me).  So I figured out how tall Norma was, and started hunting.  I found a doll that was the right size, and after tweaking the colors a bit, I arrived at....
(don't mind the extra arm.  Blame the quick photo-smooshing.  LOL)

The doll was also from Etsy, but is an older porcelain one.  I *think* the teal color of her dress will match WDW's Sea Foam linen.... it is hard to tell until she gets here, though.  And yes, I DID buy the doll!  She was only about $20.  And when I get around to stitching her, I might not use the same chatelaine at her waist - but that's all open to artistic interpretation, right?

I'm so excited to try these projects.  I know, I know, I get crazily enthusiastic about things and then make the sloooooowest progress on the planet....but still, these just keep calling to me.  When I was much younger (like, in my teens!), I used to build doll house miniatures, and these ladies seem  to have reawakened my love of delicate, tiny things.  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm loving your enthusiasm for these doll projects, especially since you're taking the time and making the effort to match tops and bottoms for a not-outlandish price. They're definitely different, and so much better if they rekindle warm childhood memories too. :)

Robin in Virginia said...

I think it is great to read/hear your enthusiasm about these dolls. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...