Wednesday, July 09, 2008

We crafters are an odd lot

Since I'll be starting my new job (wheee!) August 4th, we've already started packing. I fully expect this next month to be a blur, and to that I end I'll apologize now if you don't see much posting going on here. But since we're still kind of in that "stuff we don't need and/or use everyday" stage of packing, I thought I'd take a moment to share some things I found.

Now, as a crafter, I fully admit to an embarrassing inability to walk past a sale bin or a store closing sign. I've pawed through bins of ribbon, buttons, and doo-dads, crowing with glee when I find an unexpected treasure at the bottom. And sometimes....well, sometimes I don't find a treasure, but I take something home anyway. Which means I end up with stuff like this.

The chair I can blame on the Dollar Store and an article I read on how to decoupage cheap miniature furniture with bits of party napkins to look "high-end." Ummm, no. I tried it, it didn't really work very well, and most of my experiment ended up in the trash.
The babies -- I *think* they were going to sit in the miniature cradles I used to make for my friends when they had babies. Thank goodness that idea went splat. Because who DOESN'T want a creepy, expressionless naked baby in a cradle to hang on their Christmas tree? I'm sure my friends are thrilled I've gone back to cross-stitching baby gifts.
The fish were a clearance bin find. They're not buttons or charms, and there is no way (other than glue, I guess) to attach them to anything. Weirdness.
And the troll-bunny....I think I found him on the floor when I was working at the bookstore years ago. He seemed like something I might be able to use....sometime......

All of these remarkable items can be found in a trash bag outside my house this week, if anyone is interested.

1 comment:

Kathy A. said...

Congratulations on your new job Erin. Moving - grrr - not my favorite thing either.
Your treasures just cracked me up - please keep that garbage bin closed - they might get out!
I love your box you made for your friend. The spider bag is just the best and the fabric perfect for it.
You do such lovely finishing.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...