Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The conclusion of "The Quilt that Isn't"

It is done!!!
What do you think?? I call it "the quilt that isn't" because although the top is made of blocks, there isn't technically any quilting. You see, the kit that I was working from called for the top and bottom to be assembled like a pillow - put the pieces right-side together, sew around it, turn it right side out, and blind stitch it closed. So no quilting and binding like a "real" quilt...... I did put a piece of flannel sheet in the middle for some added weight, and added the little dog buttons in the center of the brown squares to keep it from slipping too much. I also stitched in the ditch of all 4 corners. I was going to do the entire border that way, but unfortunately, my border strips don't match up perfectly.

More pictures......
A closer view of the squares and the little dog button (the buttons are rubbery and soft...very cool).

The back. The fabric is a snakeskin-print flannel.


The back with a corner flopped over - so you get a feel for the whole thing. And if you look verrrrry closely at the bottom toward the right, you can see where I stitched my initials and the year onto the back!


So there it is. I didn't measure the exact dimensions, but the bed it is spread on for the pictures is an extra-long twin. I think it will be a good size for a sofa throw, or to toss over a lap while reading or watching TV.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I for one think it is cute!! Honey, you did very well having never done such a thing and I am proud of you for giving it a go! i love it!

Arthemise said...

Nice! You're braver than me. I'd love to make a quilt, but...

Meari said...

Who says blocks can't be considered quilts? ;) I thought quilts were blankets made of many pieces of fabric sewed together. Yours just happen to be square. Way to go!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...