Saturday, July 18, 2020

Representation Matters

This spring and summer, there has been a lot of talk about diversity and representation - and the lack thereof - in the craft world.  Now, I've always felt that cross stitch and needlearts are very much a hobby of "Nice White Ladies."  And since my designs of choice tend toward fantasy and fairy tales, I've never had a problem finding patterns of fairies, princesses and mermaids who look like me...but I found myself wondering, "why AREN'T there more fairies, princesses and mermaids who DON'T look like me?"  I mean, jeez, they're creatures of magic and imagination, not historical portraits!  So I'm going to try to stretch my comfort zone a bit and look for patterns that are different.  I'm also thinking about changing skin tones on one of Mirabilia's free mermaid patterns, to create something more along the lines of an African Mami Wata spirit. 
Information/Exhibit from the Smithsonian National Museum of African Art
Now, y'all know that I'm probably the slowest, most easily distracted stitcher on the planet, so it may be a while before you see any progress on these ideas, but I'm putting my thoughts here to keep myself accountable!
In the past months, there have been a few diversity-themed SALs out in the online world, and I joined the #representationmatterssal and stitched a free mystery pattern from Lindy Stitches.  When the final section was revealed, I wasn't sure how much I liked it...and then I learned that the design inadvertently spoke to some racist language of the past.  The designer handled it with class and sincerity, so I don't blame her at all - and she also released a revised pattern that turned the creature in the pattern into a dinosaur or dragon of sorts.  Well, I decided I wanted a different dragon, so I went my own way!  Here's my version of Lindy Stitches "Onward Noble Steed," stitched on 32-ct. SMF Shimmering Morning Meadow lugana (yes, that was in my stash for a looooong time!).  I also used Romy's Creations "Winter Violet" for the little girl's dress, GAST "Chives" for the dragon body, JP Coats 5-A for the dragon's wings (something from an old stitcher's stash that my dad found for me at an auction), and added little purple beads in the girl's hair.
I'm no Teresa Wentzler, that's for sure, and to me the wings still look a little too jagged...but I think she's cute nonetheless!

3 comments:

Suzanne H said...

This is so adorable. Lovely stitching!

Maddy said...

Thank you for this post! I'm an Indian-American who loves cross-stitching, but just sometimes, I would love to stitch a Mirabilia who looks a little like me (not that I don't have enough WIPS going on at the moment, lol!). Anyways, I just wanted to give you some appreciation for your sentiments. I actually stumbled onto your blog searching for a specific pattern to get some ideas for what fabric I should use. If you have an Instagram, I'd love to follow your cross-stitch progress there! Either way, you're a lovely person - stay safe! :)

Astrids dragon said...

Lovely changes, they look great together!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...