Tuesday, March 05, 2019

People's Choice SAL - Freebies


When I saw this month's theme was freebies, I decided to jump on board Jo's "People's Choice" SAL.  Confession: I may be a hoarder of free patterns.  :/  LOL  I have a portable external hard drive loaded with them, over 1000 files!  I'm pretty sure many of them are no longer available online (freebies were taken down, websites moved, the designer is no longer in business....who knows), and they aren't taking up any real physical space, so I just can't bring myself to get rid of them.  I collected all the Dragon Dreams freebies before Jennifer took them down and moved to a Facebook group....I have things in French, Russian, and any number of other languages....it is really crazy.

I did a quick search of my blog by tag, and found 24 freebie finishes!The first one was Solaria Gallery's "Stitching the Standard."
(While Solaria's webpage is still out there, it doesn't look like the designer has released anything in about 3 years, and none of the links on the freebie page work.)

I often find that freebies are great for ornaments and baby gifts.  One that I haven't seen anyone else link to yet are Marnic Designs "Mother and Child" series - I did this one for a friend several years ago.
I added the baby's name and birthdate to the back.  This is a styrofoam cube finish - I believe these little designs fit the 3" cubes that you can find in most craft stores, so there is no styrofoam cutting or fiddling necessary.


 Although I often say that I don't like primitive designs, I've collected several "prim"-inspired free patterns!  One of my favorites is The Little Stitcher.  I've finished her "Tea Time" design, "Mother of the Harvest," and "Vintage Witch."

 

I did like what Jo said in her post, about not grabbing "free" patterns from Pinterest.  While I admit to searching Pinterest every now and then - sometimes because all the hits I get in a search are from there - I do try to find the designer's own site or blog to download a pattern.  Too many times I've found things that looked like they were free, but really weren't! 

Please feel free to click on my blog's "freebie" tag to see more of the free things I've stitched, and if you are looking for the patterns yourself, let me know.  If the site is still active, I'll happily pass it along.

8 comments:

Mary said...

Thank you for sharing all of your beautiful work. I admit, I have freebies on a cd's that I have been collecting for over 10 years.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in The People's Choice this month. I agree with you, I have hundreds of freebies on a USB stick. They don't take up space so why worry!
I do like the Mother & Baby design, beautiful cube finish. I'm also a big fan of Dragon Dreams!

Astrids dragon said...

Thanks for sharing, especially The Little Stitcher site!

Kay said...

The Solaria piece is just beautiful, it is such a shame that the link isn't working. x

Robin in Virginia said...

What super pieces you have stitched! I am a collector of complimentary designs as it is a means to try out new to me designers.

Sheryl said...

Goodness what an amount of freebies you have stored. I love the first design and am off to investigate. Great stitching on all patterns.

Rachel said...

Wow! That's a lot of freebies but, like you said, they don't take up space and often disappear. I checked out all your freebies; the fact that some of them don't look like bought charts just shows how generous some designers can be. :)

Pamela said...

That first piece is stunning!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...