Monday, January 07, 2019

Trying the WIPocalypse AGAIN

If you look to the right, and scroll aaaaallll the waaaaaay down to the bottom of my list of post tags, you'll see that I've attempted the WIPocalypse SAL at least 3 times (2012, 2015, and 2018).  I think I may have started it another year or 2 in there, and then deleted the tags because my posting was embarrassingly sporadic.  But its a new year....so let's try this again!

INTRODUCTION
I'm Erin.  I've been stitching for about 30 years now, blogging for almost 15, and on Teh Interwebz for longer than that.  I'm a librarian, a wife, a mom, and a juvenile diabetic.  I love many nerdy things, including renaissance faires, Firefly, and Big Bang Theory.  My stitching tastes swing wildly from pop culture/geekdom quotes to Quakers and even "cutesy" pieces, and I have a weakness for Halloween and All Things Santa.   Besides stitching and collecting patterns, I also love to find nifty finishing ideas - I've put a mermaid sampler in a lighthouse, finished numerous pieces into box toppers, and modified all sorts of things into ornaments and display pieces.

So, what do I want to accomplish in 2019?  Hmmm.  I got crazy last year and did my own version of "May-nia," and kitted up/started several pieces that - ahem - aren't finished.  I'm easily distracted by small things, especially if I have envisioned the Perfect Finishing Project!  The big projects end up languishing.  I shall list them here, if only to shame myself into working on them.

  1. Modern Folk Embroidery's "Secret Sky" Quaker.  Huge, even on the 36-ct. linen that I'm using.  I'm using a variegated DMC floss, so that kept the price down, but I've yet to roll the scroll bars despite starting it in May of last year.  I'd like to finish a solid chunk or 2 of that.
  2. Ink Circles "Turrets and Town."  I'm about...1/2? 2/3?.... done with this one.  
  3. Marbek/Serendipity Designs' "Seaside Angel."  I went so far as to order a special background fabric for this one - "Sky, Sea, Sand" from Sunny Dyes - and made a bit of progress.  Then I discovered I was missing some metallics, put it away while I waited for my LNS to order them, and never got back to it.
  4. Much to my embarrassment, I discovered Told In A Garden's "Family Treasure III" band sampler hidden in my grandmother's old desk in the spare bedroom.  Ack.  I started that in 2015.  I got creative and replaced a band of hearts that I didn't like (the more I looked at them, the more it looked like 1985) with lazy daisies, and then burned out and tucked it out of sight.  Time to buckle down on that one...
  5. Small project - I promised my niece a tooth fairy pillow.  She wants one like the one I made her sister, only in different colors.  It should be easy enough, since the pattern is from a "One-Hour Cross Stitch" book...it is just the fiddly finishing that I need to be in the mood to do.
  6. Other small projects as they call to me....
  7. And one final thing - I have a mission to finish at least one or 2 of the many mermaid-themed patterns in my stash before Celebration of Needlework at the end of May.  To that end, I've started Plum Street Samplers' "Cape Cod Keeps" as one large(r) piece instead of 2 small pillows.  I've changed almost all of the colors, and modified the design a bit...
    The large seaweed flowers to the left of the whale just made everything seem too crowded, so I left them out altogether (which is also helpful from the floss conservation standpoint, because I'm not sure I have enough of the green over-dye that I'm using!).  This is not the greatest picture - it was taken last night under my stitching lamp and with my phone - but I'm posting it now just to keep me honest!!  
  8. Oh, and I dabble in quilting from time to time, too.  My attempts are laughable, but made with love, so you never know what might show up here...I started a superhero quilt for my husband some time ago, and that's still in pieces on my basement table....
So that's about it for now.  I hope you'll all check in on me from time to time, and I'll try to do the same and cheer everyone on.  (I also have to confess to being a less-than-perfect blog follower -work and parenting and all that, you know.)

3 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What a great list of want to dos for you in 2019, Erin! I will be stopping by to cheer you on. Go Erin!

Bethan said...

What a great list. Good luck with WIPocalypse. We will be cheering you on! x

ricketyjo said...

I daren't even count how many WIPs I have... I think it's quite a lot! I'll watch with interest how you get on this year :) Happy 2019!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...