Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Smalls, Smalls Everywhere!

So I'm working on "cleaning the house" in preparation for Thanksgiving guests next week....but I keep getting hung up at the finishing counter in my basement craft room.  Granted, these things have been waiting there for a looooong time, but I probably ought to get to the mail piles on my kitchen counter and the Legos all over the living room first!  Ah well.  These little completed things put my mind at ease for a bit.

Here is a little Christmas design I stitched up during the first "Year of Smalls" SAL - yep, it has been sitting around since 2015.  I had cleaned out and saved an empty candle jar with the best of intentions, and finally got around to making this "sleeve."
I wish I had documented the process, because this is really easy (I think!).  And while you could do a similar finish with any kind of round container, glass is slippery and makes it easy to "stretch" your fabric just enough to get a snug fit.
  1. Decide how much of a fabric margin you want around your stitched piece, and cut accordingly, with an extra 1/2" (1/4" seam allowance on all sides).
  2. Use measuring tape to measure the circumference of the container. In this case, my jar was approximately 9" around.  
  3. Cut a strip of coordinating fabric that is the height of your cut stitched piece, and the length of the circumference of the container.  You will throw away a bit of this length, so you can measure more precisely if you want, but I prefer some extra in case I screw up!
  4. Cut the strip of coordinating fabric in half vertically, and attach it to the left and right sides of the cut stitched piece with a 1/4" seam.
  5. Use your measuring tape or a ruler to center the stitched piece and cut excess coordinating fabric from both ends, leaving the entire strip (coordinating fabric + stitching) approximately 1/2" longer than the circumference of the container.  So for this piece, I cut my piece to be approximately 9 1/2" long. 
  6. Cut backing the same length as the front piece.  Put right sides together and sew along long sides only, with a 1/4" seam. Turn it right side out and press. 
  7. Fold sleeve in half with the stitched design on the inside, and sew the short ends together. I did a wee bit larger than a 1/4" seam here, just because the 4 layers were a little slippery and I wanted to make sure it held and fit snugly, but not quite a full 1/2" seam.  Flip it around - so the stitching is back on the outside and the seam is on the inside - slide it over your container (may take a bit of stretching/working bit by bit at first), and voila!

7 comments:

Mary said...

Very cute finish. Thank you for posting the instructions on how to make it.

Astrids dragon said...

It looks lovely, I'll have to admire yours because I don't have the sewing skills or patience to do it!

Robin in Virginia said...

What a super finish you have created! Thanks for sharing how you did it!

Bethan said...

A very cute finish. It's so much more satisfying clearing the finishing pile than the mail pile anyway! x

thanida said...

 it is very helpful for newbies like me to learn from the mistakes and also the knowledge of you.This is one of the best article.
maxbet

nira said...

this is really great information i personally admire the time&efforts that you have shared with us keep doing this .
sagame66
sagame77
sagame88

Unknown said...

แทงตอนไหนก็ได้ ท่านไม่ต้องรีบสำหรับการพนัน สามารถมองเกมเพื่อพินิจพิจารณาก่อน ซึ่งน่าจะเป็นคุณประโยชน์ต่อท่านมากยิ่งกว่าที่มิได้มองเห็นอะไรเลยแล้วตกลงใจพนันในทันที
ufabet
แทงบอลออนไลน์
คาสิโนออนไลน์
สล็อตออนไลน์
บาคาร่า

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...