Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Danger - Auction Ahead!

Several years ago, my father introduced me to the magic (and the frustration) of auctions.  It was right after we'd purchased our house, and needed a few things - including a decent kitchen table and a new range.  And since I'm an incurable bargain hunter, auctions were a wonderful fit.  I try to be careful not to collect things I can't use, but sometimes....well, sometimes the deal is too good and the temptation is just too much.

So last night was the college surplus auction.  I went because I saw these -
- and thought, "ooooo, perfect for the craft cave!"  (I currently sit at my counter on an old desk stool, which, while functional, is not what I'd call comfortable.)  And I got them for $1.00 (each).  Seriously, a dollar!!!  They came from the college's old nursing lab, which was recently renovated and updated.  For another dollar, I scored this - 

And then for a measly $2, one of these for the garage.
(Those are stacked 2 high, so the one I purchased is about 3 feet tall, and has a shelf inside.)

The biggest purchase I made was this little table, for $6.
It could probably stand to be refinished, but for right now, it is fine.  My daughter spotted it and said, "hey, that could be mine, to put my tablet on next to the sofa!"  My husband came to get her before the auctioneer got to the table, so I told her I would stay and bid on it for her.  I asked her how much I should spend - she said "as much as you have!"  LOL  I told her that wasn't how auctions worked, and that she needed to decide what was the most we should pay for it.  She thought for a minute, and then said, "9."  So I agreed to bid as high as $9, and maybe she'd have a table.  And I got it for $6.

I also grabbed a little jewelry display spinner (the college bookstore is also being renovated, so lots of their shelving and fixtures were up for bid) for $1.

I'm pretty pleased with my $12 haul!

4 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What fabulous deals you came home with from the college auction! I bet your daughter was thrilled with her table.

Kay said...

You lucky, lucky lady!!! I love a good bargain. x

Astrids dragon said...

I want to go shopping with you, they're all great treasures!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Very good deals.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...