Thursday, May 24, 2018

Recovering from Maynia

I really had a good time participating in Stitch Maynia this year. While I didn't exactly START all the things I kitted, it feels good to have some things ready to go, and a few new WIPs in the basket!  (Really, I think I enjoyed the planning and organizing as much - if not more - than the actual starting...)

1) I started and finished the Labyrinth worm.
2) I started and finished the wee Shaker box.
3) I started and finished the Pumpkin Dragon (picture to come soon!).
4) I started "Turrets and Town" (pic in post below).
5) I started the Lizzie Kate "3 Little Words" freebie.  Link to pdf file on Lizzie Kate's website
I've substituted for most of the colors, but I think I've stayed pretty true to the original design.  I used my DMC chart to match the suggested DMC alternates to threads from my stash of leftover bits.  I didn't like it at first, but the more colors I add the more it comes together!
6) I started Modern Folk Embroidery's "Secret Sky" pattern.  I absolutely LOVE this one!  I'm stitching 1 over-2 on a 36-ct. gray linen, using variegated DMC 4240 for the motifs and Crescent Colors "Manor Red" for the text.
I definitely need my magnifier to work on this one, but it makes me so happy to put in even one length of thread.  (The complete quote is from the Persian mystic Rumi: "This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment."  Just perfect.)

Finally, I DID finish the "May You Believe" piece with the fairy for my daughter, I just need to photograph it. I've also re-purposed another old glass-topped jewelry box, and need to get some pictures of that as well!

Speaking of my daughter, here she is with a school project on display at the district art show.  The students are given the option of submitting a piece of artwork to a company that will make things with it - coffee mugs, keychains, mousepads, things like that.  Well, she submitted this heart project, and told me, "they will make quilt squares with our pictures - so you can make a quilt with my art!"  Guess who now has another quilt project.... LOL

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

I am glad you enjoyed your Stitch Maynia this year. I really like the piece you started from Modern Folk Embroidery. I look forward to seeing more of it as well as the Lizzie Kate piece. What a super photo of your daughter and her project. Enjoy your weekend!

Beth said...

The concept of Stitch Maynia overwhelmed me! Your sky piece will be glorious.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...