Monday, March 12, 2018

Unexpected Travel

This past week has been a whirlwind.  My husband's stepfather passed away - not unexpectedly, but still a very sad passing - March 4, which meant we needed to fly to the Midwest late last week.  My daughter, who has never experienced the death of a person she knew before, was anxious to the point of illness ("Mom, my tummy feels all achy" - thankfully, she wasn't throwing up or anything) on Tuesday and Wednesday.  We flew out early Thursday morning, and she was a trooper.  We talked about taking each moment as it came and not worrying about "what came next."  She enjoys flying, so at least that wasn't an issue!  And we stayed at a hotel with a pool, so that was a welcome break (when we could take advantage of it, around all of the events we had to attend and family to see).

I was so proud of her.  When we got to the church for the viewing/funeral, she at first insisted that she did not want to see the body.  I supported her decision, and DH and I figured out how she could best get into the church without being too near the casket.  But as we got close to the door, she told me, "Mom, I think I want to see that."  So I let her lead.  As she got close to the casket, she was joined by another little girl, and the 2 of them stood there studying Grampa Doc for several minutes.  Then my mother-in-law walked up, lovingly fluffed his hair a bit, adjusted his glasses, and patted his chest, saying, "that's my guy."  And THEN, my daughter who had panicked at the idea of seeing a dead person, reached up and patted his hand.  (I tear up just thinking about that!)  Children are so amazing.

In the midst of all that overload, I DID stitch....because I need something to do on those airplanes.  :)
(A little Ink Circles freebie, I think it will work as another jewelry box top when it is finished.)

6 comments:

Justine said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like you made the right decision letting your daughter take the lead. She sounds awesome!
That's a pretty stitch with lovely bright colours.

Kay said...

So sorry for your loss. x

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Sorry to read of your family bereavement.

Terri said...

So sorry for your loss! Hugs!

Robin in Virginia said...

Your Ink Circles stitch is a pretty one. I am sorry to read about your FIL's passing. Thinking of you and your family.

Beth said...

I am glad that your daughter was able to go to the funeral and see what happens when someone is no longer alive - that we still love them and care for them and that the service is meant to honor them. And it is not scary.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...