Thursday, September 07, 2017

Pondering

I've always held that I do not like "traditional" samplers.  Anything with alphabets, houses, and weirdly out-of-scale plants and people immediately gets a pass.  But lately...lately it seems that the "old" stuff is speaking to me.  I feel like I'm failing my subversive/rebel/young stitch demographic, and might as well order some bifocals, a couple cardigans, and ugly sensible shoes while I'm at it.... (I kid, I kid - besides, I already wear sensible shoes).
So after seeing Small off to the bus stop yesterday morning, I took my usual "first day of school" vacation and stitched on a little piece by Homespun Samplar.  I can't find a picture of it anywhere online, but it is a very traditional, simple little piece that reads "home is where they love you" - in addition to the alphabets an overly large flowers, of course.
The fabric isn't quite so white - at least, it is displaying a bit washed out on my computer.  But I find it rather endearing, even if it isn't very complex.  Sometimes I get tired of all the Miras and TWs...

5 comments:

Beth said...

Sensible shoes= Crocs and Dansko
Bifocals = Progressives!
Cardigans = open weave crochet sweaters

Still stitch with glasses OFF! And aged 58 am still not a big fan of traditional samplers.

Kay said...

I hav only done one traditional sampler and still like it, although I wouldn't have chosen it (it was a present). Sometimes it is nice to try a different design to keep us fresh. x

Daffycat said...

Traditional samplers are growing on me. I find myself more drawn to the bunched samplers where the design is filled with a scattered alphabet.

Robin in Virginia said...

You are off to a good start! Sensible shoes are a good thing! :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Varifocals, black hoodie and black ankles boots here! I do love an outsized plant called Audrey but I'm not so keen on the sampler people. I prefer my Miras and Joan's people. Love an alphabet or any words really.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...