Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Celebration 2017 Recap

Last week/weekend I was once again in Nashua, NH for Celebration of Needlework.  It is my mom-cation, my guilty pleasure, my me time, and I. LOVE. IT.  Four lovely nights of sprawling alone across a king-sized bed, no small person asking for food at 6 am, watching crime shows on TV and stitching with my friends for days....not to mention the shopping mall!  I met friends, both old and new, and had a lovely time.  And I even finished something -
Judith Kirby's "Victorian #14," done!
I also started on the Letters from Nora "M" fairy, something I've had kitted for years and promised to my daughter.

I also acquired an embarrassing amount of new stash.  I was determined not to shop TOO much, but it is just so tempting.  And I also brought home many cast-offs from the freebie piles - granted, I left more than few of my own.  My most notable acquisitions:

  1. From Rosewood Manor - "Flowers, Awake!" and "Wise Owl."  I also bought fabric for Flowers Awake, and because I felt like the Barnwood used for the model was too dark for the green lettering, I picked a piece of 30-ct. Dark Chino instead.
  2. Mani di Donna's "Mermaid Song Sewing Box."  I may not finish it as a box, but....mermaids....you know....  (Also, there were several European designers at the show this year.  Really hard to resist things that I don't typically see in my LNS!)
  3. Threads from Romy's Creations.  I had another one of Simona's designs that called for Romy's flosses, and there were a few more colors I just couldn't resist.
  4. Fabrics - in addition to the Dark Chino for Flowers Awake, I impulsively bought a piece of gorgeous blue ("Cersei" from Hand-dyed by Stephanie), a burgundy red solo from Silkweaver, and a piece of Dapple from Picture This Plus.
  5. A small kit from Olde Colonial Designs.  Every year I buy some "little" that catches my eye....some years I actually stitch said little.
And finally from the stash abandoned by others - I found Plum Street Samplers Cinnamon Stars, a pile of old Told in a Garden Amish designs (and I'm actually working like mad to stitch up "Friendship Quilt" and finish it as a little pillow for a coworker who is retiring on Friday), Ink Circles' Turrets and Town, a few Homespun Elegance patterns that I couldn't pass up, a Prairie Schooler Santa card that I didn't have....oh, lovely free stash.

Already looking forward to next year...

6 comments:

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

I had to google Celebration of Needlework. It sounds just lovely. I have a stitching retreat on my stitching bucket list...maybe some day. It sounds like you had a nice, relaxing time and were able to pick up a few goodies.

Barb said...

Your piece is so cute. Great job so far. Someday I may go to a stitching retreat, they sound like a lot of fun to go to.

Carol said...

So glad you got to relax at your retreat--it sounds perfect! And what a lovely WIP. Wishing you a very Happy Mother's Day, Erin!

cucki said...

Your stitching is so lovely.
Sending you love and hugs x

Sara said...

It was great to meet you in person! I couldn't resist the Italian designers either, brought home a Halloween basket. We'll see if I'm an expert after the Jackie du Plessis class. Looks like you had a good weekend, hope to see you again next year!

Astrids dragon said...

I do something like that every year and LOVE it! So glad you had a good time.
I love your Victorian, such beautiful colours.
Is there such thing as too much stash?! You can't beat the free stuff.

Decision Made

After monkeying with the shells and beads some more, I decided to take them all off... ...and I think I like it best this way.  I did add...