Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Looking Back on 2016

I know, I'm a bit late with my recap, but here goes anyway.

Here is Morticia, with a year's worth of orts.
It was a good year!  I finished 27 pieces, the last one visible in the picture above.  It is the Prairie Schooler design that I stitched over-one.  Here is a better pic, with a bottle of Bath & Body Works lotion for scale.
I've also shared this on Facebook, so you may have seen it there.  The little box/frame was something I found in the unfinished wood section at Michael's - I stained/painted/sanded/stained the outside, and stained/decoupaged/stained/sanded the inside, then coated the whole thing with a clear spray varnish.  I mounted the stitched piece on matboard with batting, inserted it and attached the doo-dads, and voila!  I think it is quite charming...however, if I were to do it again, I might paint the inside and apply the paper to the outside.
So of my other 26 finishes, 19 of them would qualify as "smalls" (including the 12 I did for the SAL).  But that's okay with me!  I find small pieces rather rewarding.  The 7 larger pieces were still not what I would consider huge - things like "Mermaid Spoken Here" and Prairie Schooler's Winter Sampler.
I'm kicking off 2017 with a new start,Judith Kirby's Victorian House #14, "Summer Sunset."  I hemmed and hawed over the fabric...it came with ivory Aida, and that simply was NOT going to happen.  LOL  I had a piece of Blueberry, but I decided it was too purple (especially since the house is purple).  I settled on a cut of Blue Dynasty linen that has a nice "sky" look to it.
So I've been busily filling Morticia with purples, oranges, and greens.  We wish you all a happy 2017, once again to be floss-filled and frog-free!

1 comment:

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

The box/frame is ideal for your 1 over 1 stitching.