Tuesday, March 08, 2016
The Lady and the Scissors
I really like how this turned out. The stitched lady is what I was working on in my car a couple weeks ago, now completed and with beads added for a bit of bling. The scissors are a well-used pair of Robert Klaas that I found in an old sewing basket that I won at an auction. I've had them cleaned, but it seems that the tarnish is permanent... I don't mind, though. They work fine for snipping threads, they are rather unique and lovely, and I wonder what stories they might tell. I have another pair, too - a little larger, and the handles are a bit out of alignment. The scissor repair man I took them to wasn't sure he could fix that, so we just left them as they were (he cleaned/sharpened the blades).
The whole piece was a bit of an experiment. I put it together kind of like a pillow - first I attached fabric to the left side of the front of the stitched piece, then I attached the backing. I left the end where the pocket is open. I turned it right-side out (like a pillow) and sewed along the seam to make the "spine." Then I hemmed the pocket and attached it by hand - there are probably better ways to do this, but I wasn't confident in my measuring and placement skills! Then I cut a piece of mat board to fit inside the back so the finished piece wouldn't be all floppy, and whip-stitched it closed.
This is the little mermaid pattern I started the other night - a freebie. There was no color key, so I'm using: Crescent Colors "...
Pardon the rather blurry cell phone picture.... I knew I wanted to mount this piece on a wooden plaque, but its dimensions were making i...
...or you will end up frogging a whole bunch of over-one stitching. Grrr. So there is no progress pic on the cowboy piece today, because I...