Having completed everything else on my monthly goals list, last night I forced myself to haul out Mermaids of the Deep Blue. *sigh* And don't get me wrong, I really love this pattern.....but here are my issues.
1) The beads. Gobs and gobs and gobs of 'em. They're beautiful. But this is the first piece I've done with so MANY beads! And I don't know exactly how to handle them. I started thinking I would do all the beading last...but then I realized just how many beads that would entail and how frustrated I was sure to get. So I started beading as I went. Now the beads are making the piece "buckle" funny on my scroll rods, so I cut them all out. And the dilemma persists.
2) The scroll rods. I bought my lovely new floor frame specifically for the mermaids....and they refuse to cooperate (see buckling issues mentioned above). I've resorted to 11"x11" Q-Snaps, but they slide out of the clamp on the stand and are uncomfortable to hold for very long.
3) Mermaid hair. Dude, I'm a swimmer, and I can assure you that underwater, hair does not behave the way Nora Corbett seems to envision her mermaids. I have long hair, and if I'm not wearing a cap, I look more like a flailing seaweed clump than a mermaid with tresses wafting gently in the waves.
So last night, I stitched exactly one length of mermaid hair.