Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A different kind of Christmas post

(I've actually finished the January square on Judith's RR, and made a start on the border of the final square, but DH screwed up our home network and I can't load my pictures yet. Grrr.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Christmas this year. As I mentioned in an earlier, it will be a mostly-giftless day, and I think of that as a GOOD thing! Fewer worries, more relaxing, and we're all looking forward to it. Also, I've never really been a fan of many traditional Christmas films. (I laugh myself silly whenever DH hollers, "...and every time a buzzer sounds, an angel BURSTS INTO FLAME!" at the end of "It's a Wonderful Life.") I do have to see "A Christmas Story" at least once, and one of my own little traditions is to read Terry Pratchett's "Hogfather." If you are not familiar with Pratchett, he writes a series about the universe of Discworld, where magic exists...but in a rather warped and sometimes silly incarnation from the way other authors present it. It isn't a style that everyone enjoys, but if you like some goofy science fiction/fantasy with a touch of sarcastic social commentary, I'd recommend it.

Now Hogfather....the basic plot is that Hogfather, the Discworld version of Santa Claus, goes missing. Death decides to take his place, ensuring the children of Discworld will have a happy Hogswatch (Christmas). But there are more sinister games afoot, involving the destruction of belief...and of course, Death doesn't quite "get" the whole gift-giving/celebratory/Hogswatch premise. In the end Hogswatch is saved (I won't even try to tell you how), and Death tells his niece the following.

I love it. (This is a clip from a British movie adaptation of the book.)

Merry Christmas to all, and may your stash grow (or shrink?) with the New year!!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I was looking at the TV guide earlier and Hogfather is on over Christmas along with The Colour of Magic so I'll be watching both and will think of you

Dani - tkdchick said...

Erin I hope you had a great Christmas!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...