Thursday, February 07, 2008

SBQ, 2/6/2008

Are there other crafts that you have tried and abandoned? Why do you like stitching better?

Well, I've ALWAYS been crafty! When I was very young I used to make clothespin doll refridgerator magnets, and clothing for my little dolls out of bits of lace and rick-rack. LOL So I don't know if it is fair to say I "abandoned" those so much as I outgrew them...
I did do a lot with dollhouses and miniatures, though -- in fact, I think I still have a couple kits in the attic somewhere. While I still love teeny little things, there are a couple reasons I don't build houses anymore:
1) it's messy. Paint, glue, sanding dust...it gets everywhere.
2) it takes up more room. You have to have assembly space, room to paint, yadda yadda yadda.
3) the finished products need display space of their own. And while they are lovely, they are dust magnets.
So the last dollhouse I built was a log cabin kit that I finished while I was in grad school. It is currently on a bookshelf in the spare bedroom....taking up space and collecting dust. hehe

Me and my cabin, 2007. (my goofy self-portrait project!)

Other than the dollhouses, I've also scrapbooked. But I'm still doing that! Oh, and once upon a time I did some latchhook. Eh, it didn't do much for me, really.

I can't really say why I like stitching best...I'm sure it has something to do with the wonderful colors and designs out there, and the timeless nature of it. My ancestors may not have built tiny models of houses, but I'm pretty sure someone somewhere back in time embroidered something!

1 comment:

Aussie Stitcher said...

Your dollhouse looks great, hope DH has fully recovered.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...