Thursday, October 19, 2006

SBQ, 10/18/2006 - In My Right Mind

Which way do you stitch, i.e. do you stitch /// followed by \\\ on top, or the other way around \\\ followed by ///? Are you left- or right-handed and do you think that this affects the way that you stitch?

I stitch /// followed by \\\. I'm left-handed, but I don't think that matters much for cross stitch -- although I've been told that I do my French knots "funny" because I usually pull the thread tight with my right hand and hold the needle with my left! Funny anecdote -- my grandmother is constantly marveling that I can "stitch such pretty things....being left-handed, even!" She has never done much embroidery, though, mostly quilting and crochet. And being left-handed *could* create more issues when learning to crochet or knit, I would imagine.

4 comments:

Singular Stitches said...

Erin, good for you and DH for adopting the animals that might have a harder time finding a home! (That kind of senseless cruelty I fail to comprehend!)

Also, I'm a lefty, and I've not had too hard of a time learning to knit or crochet. My Mum taught me to crochet (she's a lefty, too) so I crochet left handed, but I learned how to knit from a righty so I do knit right handed.

HasturTorres said...

I don't think it matters for cross stitch. I stich with both hands and my x's looks the same. I don't crochet or knit so I haven't a clue about those.

Anonymous said...

I'm a leftie too, and never had any trouble with cross stitching, knitting, crochet or quilting. In fact it never occurred to me that it *could* be a problem till someone mentioned it when I was in my mid thirties! LOL I guess it's only a problem if you're expecting it to be one!

Shondratasha said...

I'm left hand dominant (but right eyed, go figure) and the only thing I ever had trouble with is knitting.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...