Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A celebration followed by sandwiches

(I've been mulling this post over in my head for almost a week now, and figured it was time to get it on the screen. I'm not crazy enough about any of the Nashville releases to make an entire entry out of that anyway....)

Now I've only been an "online stitcher" for a year or 2, but I've already learned a bit of the who's who in the land of stitching bulletin boards and blogs. So when it was posted that LauraLeigh had passed away unexpectedly, I was shocked. I couldn't really say anything, though....I mean, I'd not "met" her in any formal sense of the word. We'd never exchanged emails, RAKs, or anything except perhaps posts in a common thread somewhere. In fact, it wasn't until I learned of her death that I even checked out her blog. And from there I followed a link to her husband's weblog, which is where I found the phrase that is the title of this entry.

"...a celebration of her life, followed by sandwiches."

However inappropriate it may have been, I laughed. It seemed so....trivial, so ordinary, and even surreal. Life and sandwiches. Lumped together -- like "diamonds and toilet paper" or "love and vacuuming."

I'm not criticising the writer -- in fact, I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Just.....life and sandwiches. That's all there is, really.

2 comments:

Casa Pearl said...

I didn't know Laura either Erin and it's sad that she has passed away so young. I can see your point about the phrasing - it is kind of funny considering the magnitude of the tragedy. I can't imagine what he's going through. But the funny thing about death is that food is a solace of sorts.

Singular Stitches said...

I understand what you mean. That struck a funny chord with me, too.

It's a shame that funerals are inherently considered a sad occasion. I would hope that people would celebrate my life and laugh and be happy that they knew me at my funeral rather than cry and be sad.

Remember the Bay City Roller song at the funeral in Love Actually?

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...