Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Stitching Blogger's QOTW, 11/8/2004

What project has been a WIP/UFO the longest? Or what project took
you the longest to complete?


Well, my longest WIP right now is my Dragon Virtues afghan....and it will probably be a WIP for quite a while, at the rate I'm going!!! I keep starting new things - I'll explain more about that in a sec. And there is a story behind the (now) completed project that took the longest to finish.... When I was a junior in college, my boyfriend and I were "orientation leaders", which meant that in return for several days spent herding freshmen and leading silly college songs, we got to move into our dorm rooms ahead of most of the other upperclassmen. Being young and full of energy, I started looking for something to do in the evenings. I finally picked up a little Dimensions 5"x7" kit at the local craft store - an ivory castle with burgundy and gold highlights. I was so excited! I hadn't stitched in a couple years, and thought, "heck, this will be a snap to do again."

Wrong.

I stitched diligently in the evenings for about a week....then classes started, my friends returned, there were other things to do besides stitch. My little castle was abandoned.....AND LEFT IN A HOOP......for about 4 YEARS. I finally rescued it when I started my job here in the library. My coworkers were appalled! But a good soak and some careful framing later, and it looks just fine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


So, now on to why I've once again neglected my Virtues afghan. I found a perfect design for my dad for Christmas! It is from the 10/2004 Stoney Creek magazine (which I wouldn't normally buy - they don't have much I usually like, but this issue had the library pattern from their "Home Town Afghan" series), and is a Native American design with a quote from an Iroquois chief. Dad loves that stuff, plus it reminds me a lot of my grandad, who passed away this past spring. I also picked up a little Lanarte kit on eBay - it is a landscape with an empty canoe (or possibly rowboat?) sitting on a river with pine trees in the background. It looks kind of dreamy and watercolor-like.

I don't know the name of the kit....the seller had only an item number, and I can't find the design on Lanarte's page or with any of their many distributors.
Anyway, Grandad raced canoes until cancer made it impossible, and this just seemed perfect. I'm not sure if I should give to my gramma or keep it for myself, though...I don't want to make her cry......

No comments:

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...