Wednesday, March 01, 2017

A non-stitching finish

I've shared this project a few times, but now it is completely finished and ready to be gifted to my 5 year old niece.
I found the squares at the thrift store, and paid about $2.50 for all 6 of them.  Especially from a distance like this, you can tell that the original crafter had some difficulties with the assembly...but I think it adds to the charm.  I squared it all up as best I could with the brown fabric and orange borders, and had it quilted by a local longarm shop.  My niece's favorite color is orange, and the back is an orange teardrop design that reminds me a bit of peacock feathers.
The finished size is larger than a crib quilt, but not quite a twin (the pictures were taken on the work table in the library!).  I think the measurements from my receipt were 47" x 63".  I figure it will be a cute bed topper or throw, or something to curl up with while reading on the couch...and when/if she outgrows the little animals, she can flip it over to the "feather" side.

And here is what I am most proud of...I hand-stitched the binding down on the back side.
The lady at the quilt shop would have done it, but it would have cost an additional $30.  So when she offered to teach me to do it myself, it seemed silly to say no....although I don't think I'll ever be one of those people who enjoy this step of the process!  But I can say I know how now.  And these corners make me very happy.  :)

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Very cute! I have always loved the idea of using blocks that were made by someone else. I always look for quilt blocks at estate sales or antique shows.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Very nice. I'm sure your niece will love it.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

That is a delightful quilt. You've done a fantastic job on those mitered corners. Believe it or not, I actually find stitching the binding down while watching TV in the evening with my husband quite relaxing.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...