Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How disappointing.

I've been working on "Melville's Return" lately -- here is my progress.I really love this piece, and am already plotting to have Jill Rensel frame it for me. I can just imagine the fun "nautical" touches she might add to the mat!
However. I did a quick bit of Googling the other day, and it would seem that the quote is incorrect. The only Herman Melville quote I've found that is close is "life is a voyage that is homeward bound" -- not "all voyages are homeward bound." I know, the sentiment is similar, and it is still perfectly lovely. But dang it, I'm a librarian, and I can't abide by an incorrectly-attributed quote! I briefly considered either a) changing the quote or b) removing Melville's name and adding another row of waves or fish or something...but then, that seems like a lot of work. I'll try living it for a while, and see how I feel later. Heck, I'm probably the only one who would know or care.....

3 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

I'd change the quote. I have added (appropriate) apostrophes to designs and simply won't stitch Sampler Girl's "My Everything" (from the Auden Poem) because it ends "I thought that love would last forever, I was wrong." She left it off, but I'd *know*.

Kathy A. said...

Change the quote. You know you won't be happy otherwise!!

Blu said...

I'd try to change it. If it's a quote then it should be quoted properly, if not it's just paraphrased and should say so somehow.
(How very pedantic of me lol!)

Decision Made

After monkeying with the shells and beads some more, I decided to take them all off... ...and I think I like it best this way.  I did add...