Friday, August 17, 2007

SBQ, 8/15/2007

How did you get started stitching? Was there a person that inspired you?

Hmmm. I started stitching when I was pretty young! My mom used to go to those crafty "houseparties" -- like Tupperware, only with needlecrafts and the like. To keep me occupied while the big ladies ooed and aahed over stuff, one of the organizers gave me a little hoop with a printed design of a car in it, and a couple lengths of thread. I happily "sewed" away!!

I didn't actually start cross stitching for a couple years after that, though. No one I knew did counted cross stitch (Mom preferred needlepoint, and didn't do that much of that, either), but one day I saw one of those little 99-cent stitch-n-frame kits at the local craft store and decided I wanted to try. I was probably about 12. The kit I chose was a little farm couple holding hands - totally NOT my style now! And they had French knot eyes. Ack. But I slogged through and finished it. I think it finally got thrown away when Mom and Dad remodeled my old room.... After that, I did the "Roses" design that I finally finished in to a pillow just last year, and then my stitching went on a bit of a hiatus. But I've been back at it for 6 or 7 years now, and I don't see that ending any time soon!!

2 comments:

The Teacup Cottage said...

My great-grandmother crocheted, my grandmothered was a seamstress, my mother a quilter and I prefer needlpoint. I guess it is the blood but we almanaged to rebel and do something different from our ouwn mother!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I loved reading this! Thank you for sharing!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...