Tuesday, August 30, 2005

My Weekend Stitching (or, I Hate Waste Canvas)

I had big plans for the Needle & Thread BB Freebie SAL this past weekend... I was going to work on "Stitching the Standard" (which I did) AND do a Dragon Dreams' freebie. So Friday night I was a busy little bee, ironing some fusible interfacing into a t-shirt, attaching waste canvas, and sorting my threads. I started stitching happily on Saturday, and by Sunday night I'd finished the little jester dragonlet. Now, I had prior experience with waste canvas. I stitched Dani the Stitching Dragon on a canvas tote, and because of my inexperience with waste canvas, I stitched too tightly and could not pull all of the waste threads out. This time I decided to be smarter than the canvas -- I pulled the waste threads out before I did the backstitching. MISTAKE. When I tried backstitching without the canvas, it was a train wreck. I actually threw the entire project away....thank goodness I got the shirt for next to nothing at the thrift store. Sigh.

I did love that little dragon, though -- guess I'll have to stitch him again somewhere else. NOT with waste canvas!!!

But "Stitching the Standard" is coming along beautifully. I can see the end! I have her left hand - the one holding the fabric - done, and I'm working on her hair and neck now. I'm not totally pleased with the way that hand looks -- it is kind of hard to tell exactly where her fingers are. As DH said, "is she wearing mittens?" Oh well. Maybe once the whole thing is done, it will help....

No comments:

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...