While I haven't done much stitching - it has been too hot to sit in the living room lately! - I have been browsing sewing blogs. I've grown particularly fond of the "refashioning" trend, finding unappealing items at thrift stores and turning them into something more wearable. So Friday, after being inspired by Jillian over at Refashionista, I did a quick run through the local Goodwill. I came home with this:
First I deconstructed the piece, removing the zipper and taking off the "bodice."
I had to line the skirt, which is what became my undoing. I had an old navy blue tee that I thought would be perfect for that purpose...however, it was rayon and very slippery. Also, the dress fabric was cheap and frayed terribly once it was disassembled. But I soldiered on, and changed the waist to an elastic drawstring (I made a casing of sorts using the skirt fabric and creasing it above where the lining was attached). And...ta-da!
So there you go, my first attempt at "refashioning." It was frustrating at times, but fun, and I'll be on the lookout for other potential candidates!