Thursday, March 22, 2007

Bothersome backstitching and a bit 'o blarney

In an attempt to keep myself inspired, I'm finally posting a progress pic of the Celtic Blessing piece.

I've started backstitching as I go along from time to time...otherwise it would just be too overwhelming! There is SO MUCH backstitching in this piece, it is ridiculous. I've decided I really don't like Joan Elliot (she's the designer of this one). Also, the green-and-white "checkered" borders are a horrid pain, and for some reason it is really hard for me to get them to look nice and even. Not sure why!


I also dove into a freebie, in honor of St. Patrick's Day. I found this one at gryphonsmoon.com, and it is a Gaelic saying with a knotwork border. (But no backstitching!! hehe) Loosely translated, it says "there's no place like home" -- less loosely, it says "there's no hearth like your own hearth." Of course, I don't speak Gaelic, so for all I know it could say "may your potato fields lie fallow for generations."


I'm stitching it over one on 28-ct. antique white linen, using floss from The Dye is Cast. The color is a beautiful deep green called "Grace Kelly". I only have one skein, and the company no longer dyes floss, so I'm thinking that I'll use a complimentary color for the knotwork. Until I get to that point, though, I'm going to be scanning eBay daily for another skein of Grace Kelly!! And if anyone out there has some they'd be willing to part with/trade for, please let me know...

8 comments:

Hazel said...

Wow that celtic blessing piece looks amazing! Joan Elliotts designs are renkowned for all that backstitch detail but it does look great. Keep at it I am sure it will be worth it.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Your stitching is lovely!

Ranae said...

Wow!! That looks great. The backing stitching really pays off. keep up the awesome work. Cant wait to see it when its done.

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

Your Celtic Blessings Piece is going to look so pretty when you get it done...I love the colors in that too...I'm doing one now by Stoney Creek and it is Noah's Sub and it is filled with back stitches so I know what you are talking about. I'm back stitching as I go along too even though I haven't done the back stitching on the areas that I have done but I'm going to though over the weekend.

Take care & Happy Stitching

Unknown said...

Your celtic blessings piece is beautiful, I hate a ton of backstitching too.

Deanne J said...

They both look great

Dani - tkdchick said...

Your wedding blessing looks fantastic!

The Teacup Cottage said...

Wow, that looks amazing. Backstitching is not my favorite part so I try to spread it out too so there is not a huge amount at the end. Keep us posted!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...