Monday, December 11, 2017

Crafting with the Kiddo

Yesterday afternoon my husband had another Santa gig, so my daughter and I were left to our own devices.  We got her a haircut, went to the wholesale club for some of her favorite snacks (no lie, the kid loves dates, mangoes, and pecans!), and then stopped at JoAnn Fabric to get some supplies for a project I had in mind....


...inspired by Holly's post!  My daughter was a little disappointed that we didn't have "fancy" beads like the ones Holly found - a quick Google seems to indicate that Michaels carries the brand she used, and that would have meant running across town at 4 pm on a Sunday.  Not happening!  Plus I had coupons for JoAnn.  LOL  So we got one tube of jewel-toned beads plus some larger red ones that we found in the clearance bins.  We cut our pipe cleaners in half, which resulted in lovely shards of silver flying all over the kitchen....  And the ornament we attached them to was a 60%-off find.  I swear these stores put ridiculous mark-ups on everything, just so we feel like we're getting "deals."  Ah well.  We had a lovely time stringing beads and twisting the pipe cleaners together, and she was quite pleased with her door decoration (and yes, I know my front door needs to be re-finished.  Argh, that pic really shows the sun damage...)!

After that was finished, we cooked dinner together - my mother found a copy of Peter Rabbit's Natural Foods Cookbook and brought it out at Thanksgiving, and my daughter has been itching to try some of the recipes.  So we made "Samuel Whisker's Roly-Poly Pancakes," which are not exactly traditional pancakes, but were tasty and filling all the same!  (They use a blend of white flour, wheat flour, and corn meal.  My husband said the texture and weight reminded him of a doughnut.)  And of course, scrambled eggs....and mango for dessert.

I barely stitched at all this weekend, and the house is a bit of a wreck....but it was a good weekend.  I hope you all had the same.

3 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

It sounded like a great way to spend some mother-daughter time. Your garlands look fabulous. Thanks for the giggle about the metallic shards of silver flying all over!

Unknown said...

The two of you did a great job! I love it hanging from the door. Yes, Michael's is where the beads were found ... I was fortunate to get them, since I got the last package. Our front door is sun-bleached as well - I would prefer the lighter wood tone you have going on, as opposed to a red door (mine), which is now partially pink!

Dates, mangoes and pecans - your daughter has excellent taste!

Beth said...

Fun mother / daughter time!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...