Monday, October 23, 2017

Quick, Depressing Life Update

Thanks for all the kind comments about Crafty Brain.  And while I'd love to indulge her more often....life so often intervenes.

So, as some of you know, Crafty Brain has her own Crafty Cave - the previous owner of our 1950s-ranch house turned part of the basement into a hair salon.  While I have all the hair styling skills of a one-legged chicken, I DO appreciate a room with vinyl flooring, fluorescent lighting, and built-in cupboards and counters!  (This may or may not have been a BIG motivator in our purchase of this house - we really confused our realtor, who couldn't figure out WHY we'd want a house with a hair salon.)  In my perfect world, we'd have the time and money to do some updating, but for now, it works.
Until last Thursday night...
....when I went downstairs to do a load of laundry, and almost slipped and fell in a giant puddle of water.

I turned on the lights....and followed the trail of moisture....

.....through the Craft Cave, under a wall....

....and back to one of the main water lines, which was quietly hissing and dispersing a continuous fine mist of water all over the back corner of the basement.

And because we are not the brightest homeowners, the first thing we did was call the plumber.  (A smarter couple might have simply turned off the main and waited until the morning to call.)  After about an hour's worth of work - at the overtime emergency rate, of course, and some loud sawing that our child amazingly slept through, the leak was fixed.  My bank account was significantly lighter, and inspection of the Craft Cave revealed that some of my supplies were ruined.  Most of my fabrics and patterns were okay, because they were in cabinets or boxes up off the floor, but many of the doo-dads and doohickeys that Crafty Brain acquires were destroyed (mostly because they'd been left carelessly about, and had no permanent "home").

Time to re-evaluate, re-arrange, and force Crafty Brain to work with the materials at hand before purchasing more.  There are still plenty of materials to use!  That might be part of the problem...

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Oh my goodness! I am sorry that some of your doo-dads and doo-hickeys were lost. But glad much of your Craft Cave was okay.

Robin in Virginia said...

PS Would you shoot me an email? I have a question for you.

rlbrowninva @ gmail . com (leave out the spaces)

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear this! Fabrics and patterns are expensive to replace, so I'm grateful they escaped unharmed. In the meantime, you can have fun exercising your creativity in using what's left. Sometimes the best creativity comes from limited materials.

Beth said...

Oh Erin - that's just plain awful. I hope that the silver lining is that you get your crafty space exactly the way you want it.

sanpiseth40 said...

I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks
ตารางคะแนนลาลีกา

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...