Friday, December 18, 2015

Another Box Top

Finished and gifted!  I'm so thrilled with how this turned out...and how it was received by my friend.
This is a freebie from Hands On Design.  I stitched it with my own color choices on 28-ct. Willow Green Jazlyn - the finished box top was about 3" x 5", maybe a little smaller.  Because the stitching was so close to the same size as the box top, I couldn't mount it to mat board first - I wrapped and glued it directly on to the box (with a bit of batting underneath).  Then I went around the sides with some jute rope, and finished it with twisted cording made with the same variegated blue that I used for the water. 
I like the inside almost as much as the outside, too.  Inside the lid I Modge-Podged a piece of "sky" scrapbooking paper, and around the sides of the bottom I used some paper that looked like sand.  Then I made a padded insert for the bottom with some blue fabric that looked like water, and added some more of the twisted cording just because.  Oh, and all the papers and the wood surfaces were covered with a coat of clear shellac, too.
My friend loved it.  I'm so glad...he is a very special guy, and I'm thrilled I could use my talents to make something that spoke to him.

6 comments:

cucki said...

So beautiful my dear x

OhSewCrafty said...

Very cool finish! Wonderful gift.

Unknown said...

This is amazing. WOW. What a great gift and, its just beautiful. I love seeing all the different ways people finish off their stitching. This is just great. Can you tell I really like it.

Brigitte said...

You made a gorgeous gift for your friend. Great job!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This is a lovely finish for this sweet design. The box is perfect for it and I'm so pleased that your friend liked it too.

Sara said...

Love your finishing of this one, perfect! Glad your friend received it well.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...