Monday, February 09, 2015

February 2015 WIPocalypse Check-in

(Late....typical.  Sigh.)

Life has been...well, I'd say "crazy," but it isn't that far from our normal anymore!  Winter weather, a cabin-crazy child, unemployed husband, ridiculous amounts of dental work - its all in a day's work around here lately.

I HAVE been stitching, when I can grab a few moments!  I managed a small finish last month for the Smalls SAL, and here is my progress on "Fairy's Gate."
(Sorry for crummy cell phone pic.)  There isn't that much left - just the second fairy (you can see the beginnings of her skirt on the left side of the sundial), a few flowers, and the border.  And I am waiting for beads that I had to order from my LNS - I decided I wanted petites instead of the larger ones I had in my stash.  Oh, and I have to attach the large sun charm.  I misjudged the size of design/layout on the fabric, so I've got a LOT left at the bottom and only what is under my Q-snap at the top, but I think it is still enough for framing....
Oh, and did you see my new needleminder?  Isn't it pretty?!?  I ordered this on eBay, and it only cost a few dollars.  It is MUCH more petite than the larger ones made by Kelmscott and others.  While I love the Kelmscott ones - and have at least one or 2 - I love how light this one is, while still strong enough to hold my needle.  I think it is made of repurposed jewelry findings, and there is actually a lovely little groove between the two pieces where my needle sits perfectly, providing a little extra security.

Now, on to Measi's monthly question:
How do you overcome that feeling that you’re in a rut with a particular project?
Well.....usually I start something new!  Although this is a little counter-productive for the WIPocalypse....  And with all the stressors in my life this month, I did exactly that.  I stopped at my LNS after getting my first - and very expensive - dental crown put on last Thursday.  I found a piece of 28-ct. linen banding in the remnant bin that was perfect for my latest obsession - Told in a Garden's "Family Treasure III."  (link is to someone else's blog - the pic on TIAG's site isn't very good.)  So right now I've got the very beginnings of that on my scroll frame in the basement, and when everyone starts driving me crazy upstairs, I go down to "start laundry" or do some other mundane task...and put in a few stitches.  LOL

3 comments:

Thoeria said...

I can imagine that things would be rather overwhelming under the circumstances! I'd be running for a new start too! Lovely progress on your fairy piece :)

Carol said...

Erin, I'm glad you have your stitching to help calm things down in your life... It does sound like you've got a lot on your plate right now. Hang in there!

Your fairy stitching is looking so sweet and your new needleminder is lovely :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Get the unemployed husband to take the cabin crazy child out in the snow! Can't help with the dental work though.

Your fairy piece is looking lovely, the shape is very unusual and also very pretty.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...