Saturday, January 19, 2013

Just sitting and thinking

I'm at Job #2 today....nine hours at the reference desk in the college library.  The building is just about empty, and no one needs any help.  I wish I could stitch!  But that is specifically not allowed (evidently another lady used to knit, and that was frowned upon), so I'm spending a lot of time blog-hopping, stash-lusting, looking through my freebie files, and planning stuff.  The past few nights I've been working steadily on Labyrinth, and I'm getting itchy for a new start.  Maybe tonight I'll pull out one of those wedding samplers I need to get moving on?  It also looks like Celebration of Needlework could be posting classes for the 2013 retreat soon - which reminds me that I really did want to do the Keslyn's piece from the class I attended last year.  Hmmm.
 
A couple days ago I did buy something - a piece of 28-ct. hand-dyed linen from Silkweaver's FB page.  I was trying to be strong, but I think it could work really well for Homespun Elegance's "Olde Shaker Tune", which WAS one of my goals for the year.  I've always had a bit of a weakness for the brown/"aged" fabrics, so even if it doesn't work that, I'm sure I'll use it...eventually....  LOL
I also saw something on someone else's blog regarding parenting and stitching.  I think she said something about not stitching while her child is very young because she wants her child to have memories of her as a fun mom, not a stitching mom.  It got me thinking.  I don't often stitch while Wee One is up and about, but I have, from time to time, pulled out something small to put in a few stitches while she is lining up her stuffed animals for their naptime, or playing in her castle, or anything where I know she won't need me for a couple minutes.  I'm happy to put whatever I'm doing down whenever I'm needed, of course!  She will be 3 in March, and knows that "Mommy makes pretties," and will ask about them from time to time.  She knows that I made the birth sampler on her wall, and has started telling people who come in (mostly just her grandparents - LOL) that, "Mommy made dat for ME!"  Is pretty!"  She has watched me stitch and watched me sew.  I guess I don't look at it as stitching takes away from my time with her - on the contrary, stitching is a part of me that makes me Mommy to her.  Just like Mommy does laundry, Mommy cooks dinner, Mommy sings "Puff the Magic Dragon," Mommy yells "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" when we go around big curves on the road, Mommy gives her a "kish and a squish" every morning at daycare drop-off.  I dunno.  Maybe I was internalizing Mommy Guilt where there wasn't any....

6 comments:

libwitch said...

When I was younger, I did both stiching and knitting - not well, mind you, because we are talking primary school level here - but it was because watching my mother do both those things (and read) was some of the earliest memories I had of her; and we used to pass many hours talking and spending time together doing those things. And I found it fun - or else I wouldnt have done it,

Annie said...

Like you, I would never knit or stitch when my little ones needed me, but I did a fair bit of both when my kids were occupied with something, or if we were watching one of their shows together. Now that they are older they tell me that those are some of their fondest memories of childhood. They said it made them feel safe and secure when I was doing one of my crafts. I never knew it at the time. I think there is nothing wrong with a healthy balance of playing with your children and taking some "mommy time" sometimes too. You know whats right for your family!

Anna van Schurman said...

My mother embroidered, sewed, etc when I was young. She was a fun mom. Don't let other people's insecurities make you feel guilty. I don't know how mothers don't go insane with all the pressure that outsiders put on them. (Oh wait, they do!)

DJH said...

I stitched when my daughter was younger and now she will ocasionally sit and stitch with me. I think if you are still paying attention and you are putting it down when you need to, you are doing what is good for you and your daughter. :)

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

I have many memories of my mum sitting and long stitching. It makes me smile.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I stitch while my boys play and have done ever since they were little. I was on my own with my older son and felt I wanted him to learn to entertain himself sometimes not to be 100% dependent on me for all his games.
Often we'd spend ages setting up the train track together then I'd stitch while he re-enacted Thomas' adventures.
Now he loves my stitching and makes really observant comments about it. He helps choose the designs I stitch and which ones end up in his room!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...