Thursday, February 10, 2011

Stitching stalled...

(Well, not entirely, but I've been distracted.)

This past Tuesday I was stupid. *sigh* On my way to work, I hit a slushy/icy patch, proceeded to slide across the (thankfully rural and relatively untraveled) road, went across the ditch, kind of glanced off the bank, and swung back across the ditch and onto the road. In the process of this wild manuever, I managed to side-swipe a mailbox. And not just any mailbox....a mailbox that the homeowner had "reinforced" with concrete and steel rebar.Ugh. I wasn't hurt, and my car is still driveable -- however, as you can see there is some significant body damage to my car (that passenger side door doesn't open anymore), and the alignment is all screwed up as well.

You know, I can understand the frustration of having to replace your mailbox. Really, I can. But when you live on a notoriously slippery corner of a rural road, it seems you might be better off MOVING the box a bit? I don't know. I just shudder to think what could have happened had I been driving a smaller car, or if I had hit at a different angle. And I wasn't driving recklessly or speeding! Plus, I took out the box anyway. So all the "reinforcement" served to do was turn a minor dent into the probability that I'll need an entire new door panel, plus alignment and god knows what else.

And that's the news from here. Oh, but on the stitching front, I did receive my HOE Reindeer Round ornie from Gwen!! It is beautiful -- part of an Earth Threads design finished as a little tuck pillow ornament. I love it! I'll post a picture soon.

5 comments:

Arthemise said...

I work for a transportation agency, and we do a lot about breakaway devices on the right-of-way. I think the mailbox owner would do better to have a slip base put on the thing (if they make them for mailboxes). He/she wouldn't have to replace it then. Those concrete mailboxes are so dangerous. Glad you weren't hurt.

valerie said...

Sorry to hear about the car! Thankfully no one was hurt!

Erin (moviemuse) said...

So glad you're not hurt! Sorry about your car.

Sara said...

So sorry to hear about your car, glad you're all right though.

Kathy A. said...

Oh I am so glad you are safe and ok. Such damage to your car. How very frustrating.
Seperate email on it's way.

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...