Friday, January 07, 2011

Well, it is *almost* a resolution...

I didn't join any of the stitching "challenges" for the new year, but I HAVE resolved to try and make progress/possibly finish a WIP or 2 this year. In keeping with that, I've been stitching pretty steadily on the Dark Sorceress since Christmas.That's her foot there...for some reason I love working to the bottom of a design first and then filling back up toward the top. (That works especially well for this pattern, because there is a Mill Hill treasure bead that is part of the wand in her left hand, and this way it won't get crushed in my scroll frames.)

A few folks asked about the cording in my last post...I make my cord using something like this. I've heard that there are electric cord-makers (and some people even use a power drill!), but this is what I learned on at the finishing workshop at Celebrations of Stitching, and I like it. It can be a bit fiddly, especially when you have a very long twisted thread and you're trying to get the weight to drop nicely in the middle, but since I usually only make enough cord for ornie-sized things, it is fine.
As for attaching it to the ornie, I have in the past done it was a hidden whipstitch. For this one (and the San-Man ornament I posted recently) I just glued it! I started at the bottom center of the ornament, and let the glue set/dry on each side before going around the corner. When I got to the top I put the braid together and wrapped it with a bit of coordinating thread, then tied a knot to make the hanging loop. Then I cut the braid just above the knot and let it untwist. Does that explanation help??

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for the explanation about the cording. Yes, that makes sense.

Carol said...

I use that Spinster - love it!

Sara said...

Nice progress on the Dark Sorceress and your ornament from the last post looks great. I admire anyone who attempts an ornament shaped anything other than square/rectangular!

Craft Sale!

So my mother and I set up our little table at the craft fair this past weekend.  And we didn't do terribly!  I sold $125 worth of needle...